The report "In-Patient Healthcare Establishments Statistics. Annual Information" is now available for download from the web in PDF format:"Estadística de Establecimientos Sanitarios con Régimen de Internado (Indicadores Hospitalarios) año 2007". The report contains information of the resources and healthcare and economic activities of Spanish hospitals. Similarly, The Anonymous Microdata Files are now available for download in the Data Bank for organisations, institutions and researchers. These files contain the information needed to understand and use the data, including glossaries of terms, questionnaires and technical documents.
In order to guarantee the best access to the available data, the Healthcare Information Institute allows for the download (in PDF format) of the publication Barómetros Sanitarios 2003 -2007 , which analyses the results of the said Health Barometers
The 2007 teaching material for the course on the International Classification of Diseases. CIE 9-MC 6th Edition is also available at the Publications Service cursos de Codificación Clínica con CIE-9-MC
The Health Information Institute provides access to the National Statistical Data on Hospital Admissions in the National Health System Estadísticos de referencia estatal de GRD. By diagnostic group. Available for 2000 though 2007
The Spanish Ministry of Health and Social Policy represents Spain in the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organisation (IHTSDO) as the Quality Agency of the National Health System (NHS) and is responsible for undertaking those initiatives aimed at promoting the use of SNOMED CT™ (Systematised Nomenclature of Medicine--Clinical Terms) for electronic medical records in all the autonomous regions of Spain. In compliance with the article of association of the IHTSDO, The Ministry has created download area for Snomed CT
The Ministry has published a press release on the coding of the Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 (codificación de la gripe A (H1N1)) within the CIE 9- MC, available for download in the PDF format
The updated and improved version of the Biblioteca Cochrane Plus is now available. The improvements in the new version include the option of performing a simple search or an assisted search for advanced questions. More information
This past 21 September 2009 the presentation of the Ibero-American Study of Adverse Events (IBEAS) took place in Mexico. The project is overseen by the Ministry of Health and Social Policy and the World Health Organisation in collaboration with Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico and Peru and is managed by the Pan American Health Organization
On 1st and 2nd October 2009 there will be a teacher training workshop on the 5 moments for hand hygiene at the headquarters of the Institute of Health Management. This workshop is sponsored by the Quality Agency as apart of the proposed actions included in the hands hygiene campaign, one of the objectives of the Patient Safety Strategy of the NHS
The Monitoring and Evaluation Committee on Palliative Care Strategy in the NHS will be meeting at the Ministry on 14 October to finalise the rough draft of Evaluation and establish the main lines of action for next year.
The Monitoring Committee for the Zero Bacteræmia Project (Proyecto Bacteriemia Zero) will be meeting on 22 October 2009 in Madrid to announce the progress made in the autonomous regions and hospital ICUs. This project is headed by the Spanish Society of Critical, Intensive and Coronary Medicine Units (Semicyuc) and promoted by the Quality Agency of the Ministry of Health and Social Policy, in collaboration with the autonomous regions and the World Alliance for Patient Safety of the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Son Llàtzer Hospital reduces severe sepsis mortality by half (Diariomedico.com, 16 September 2009) )[+ News]
3rd Research Scholarships on Orphan Medicinal Products and Rare Diseases. Applications, with the all required documentation, may be presented at the Office of the Secretary of the Official College of Pharmacists of Seville until 3 p.m. on 15 October 2009
- On 29 September, the Spanish Federation of Ostomised Patient Associations of Madrid (FEDAO) and Ostomised Patient Association of Madrid (AOMA) will hold a conference at the Confernce Hall of the Ministry of Health and Social Policy (MHSP), on "Ostomised Patients and theircare", as part of the acts scheduled under the framework of the World Ostomy Patient Day on 3 October.
- The first Thematic Conference on the "Promotion of Mental Health and Well-being of Children and Young People – Making it Happen ", organised by European Commission and Swedish Ministry of Health and Social Affairs under the auspices of the Swedish Presidency will be hald on 29 and 30 September in Stockholm
- International Seminar on Health and the Gypsy Community (Madrid, 1-2 October 2009)
- Workshop on EPOC Strategy of the Spanish Health System. (Madrid, Spain; Ministry of Health and Social Politics, 6 October 2009)
- On 19 October, the Ministry of Health and Social Policy will hold an information day on the Care of Patients with Acquired Cerebral Damage, organised by the Spanish Cerebral Damage Federation (FEDACE), with the collaboration of the Quality Agency of the National Health System and of the General Directorate of Sectorial Policy on Disability, in recognition of National Cerebral Damage Day on 26 October
- I Jornada CIBERSAM: Foro Social sobre Salud Mental “No hay salud mental sin investigación (Madrid, 19 de octubre de 2009)
- Workshop on Rare Diseases Strategy of the Spanish Health System. (Madrid, Spain; Ministry of Health and Social Politics, 20 October 2009)
- 6th Conference on Violence against Women and HIV, Seeing the Invisible. Valladolid, 22 October 2009. Programme
- XIII International Tuberculosis Workshop (Barcelona, from 30 November to 1 December 2009)
- VI Women's Health and Gender Forum, Gender Inequalities in Health and the Environment. (Madrid, 11 and 12 November 2009)
- Inter-Atlantic Congress on Birth and Primal Health Research (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, February 26-28, 2010). Sign-up
- IHI/BMJ International Forum on Quality and Safety in Health Care (Nice, France, 20-23 de abril de 2010). Sign-up
The Ministry of Health and Social Policy, with the goal of bringing the European institution closer to the health professionals and society in general, has translated the "European Pact for Mental Health and. Well-being" into Spanish. In this way Spain complies with the commitment of disclosure established in the said Pact and with those commitments that arise from the need to work in five priority fields of mental health. The results of this work will be announced in a series of meetings, one of which will be celebrated in Spain during the Spanish Presidency of the EU, specifically relating to mental health and the aged. You can request the Spanish translation using the following e-mail: email@example.com
Family history and improving health. Rockville, MD: The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ); September 2009
- Denis A, Simoens S, Fostier C, Mergaert L, Cleemput I. Policies for orphan diseases and orphan drugs. Health Technology Assessment (HTA). Brussels: Belgian Health Care Knowledge Centre (KCE); 2009. KCE reports 112C (D/2009/10.273/32)
- Health statistics: atlas on mortality in the European Union. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities;2009
- Cayotte E, Buchow H. Who dies of what in Europe before the age of 65: High life expectancy but large differences in mortality. EUROSTAT Statistics in focus; 67/2009
- Methodological guide for the preparation of evidence-based protocols. Zaragoza: Instituto Aragonés de Ciencias de la Salud; 2009
- Improvement Strategy for healthcare quality: evidence-based protocols in nursing. Zaragoza: Instituto Aragonés de Ciencias de la Salud; 2009
- Masculinity and addictions in adult day care centres: Methodological guide to working in Addiction Day Care Centres, Spanish Association of Day Care Centres (ASECEDI). This manual forms part of the "Masculinities Education in the 21st century , a training programme subsidised by the National Drug Plan that includes the following videos (in Spanish): "A Real Man"and "A Love Story"?
- O'Hagan J, MacKinnon NJ, Persaud D, Etchegary H. Self-reported medical errors in seven countries: implications for Canada. Healthc Q. 2009;12 Spec No Patient:55-61
- Radiotherapy risk profile. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008
- Hurwitz B, Sheikh A, ed. Health care errors and patient safety. Chichester, West Sussex; Hoboken, NJ : Wiley-Blackwell/BMJ Books; 2009
- Damiani G, Pinnarelli L, Scopelliti L, Sommella L, Ricciardi W. A review on the impact of systematic safety processes for the control of error in medicine. Med Sci Monit. 2009 Jul;15(7):RA157-66
- Addressing the quality and safety gap. Part I. Case studies in transforming hospital nursing and building cultures of safety. Nursing’s Charting Future. 2009;10
- Habraken MM, Van der Schaaf TW, Leistikow IP, Reijnders-Thijssen PM. Ergonomics prospective risk analysis of health care processes: a systematic evaluation of the use of HFMEA in Dutch health care. 2009;52:809-819
[+ Recommended reading]